- A contractor’s license is required: a C-46 Solar Contractors License or “A” General Contractors or “B” General Building Contractors License.
- C-46 is the Solar Contractor licensing classification for solar (PV and thermal) installations and maintenance. The C-46 Solar Contractor license covers active solar water and space heating systems, solar pool heating systems, and photovoltaic systems.
- Education/testing requirements: include written examinations (Law and Business as well as the trade examination) and 4 years experience; (note: technical training, apprenticeship training and education may be credited instead of experience, however at least 1 year needs to be practical experience. See CSLB guidelines for maximum allowable credit from training)
- C-4. Boiler, Hot Water Heating and Steam Fitting (for solar thermal systems)
- C-10. Electrical (for photovoltaics only)
- C-20. Warm-Air, HVAC (HVAC systems that utilize solar energy)
- C-36. Plumbing (solar thermal systems)
- C-53. Swimming Pool (for solar pool heating)