Adsense Top Center


2011 California Solar License Information

Information to understand how to get your 2011 California Solar License for California


Licensing (general)
  • A contractor’s license is required:  a C-46 Solar Contractors License or “A” General Contractors or “B” General Building Contractors License.
  • C-46 is the Solar Contractor licensing classification for solar (PV and thermal) installations and maintenance.  The C-46 Solar Contractor license covers active solar water and space heating systems, solar pool heating systems, and photovoltaic systems.
    • Education/testing requirements:  include written examinations (Law and Business as well as the trade examination) and 4 years experience; (note:  technical training, apprenticeship training and education may be credited instead of experience, however at least 1 year needs to be practical experience.  See CSLB guidelines for maximum allowable credit from training)
Licensing (PV and Solar Thermal): California offers the following specialty classifications:
  • C-4. Boiler, Hot Water Heating and Steam Fitting (for solar thermal systems)
  • C-10. Electrical (for photovoltaics only)
  • C-20. Warm-Air, HVAC (HVAC systems that utilize solar energy)
  • C-36. Plumbing (solar thermal systems)
  • C-53. Swimming Pool (for solar pool heating)
Electric code: NEC 2005 with California amendments
Reciprocal relationships: Arizona, Nevada (C-37), and Utah