- Registration with the state is required to do business in New Jersey. A home improvement contractor is any person engaged in the business of selling goods or making home improvements.
- Plumbers, electricians and home improvement contractors are licensed in New Jersey
- License duration: electricians = 3 years; plumbers = 2 years
- A Master Plumber’s license is required to install solar hot water because you are working with the domestic potable water. The solar panel can be installed without a plumbers license, but the tank and the piping has to be done by a licensed master plumber.
- Solar Heat Transfer Tank and the Solar Piping require a Master Plumber’s License.
- The installation of solar panels requires a Home Improvement Registration.
- A Licensed electrician is required to wire the pumps to circulate the glycol and any other low voltage wiring involved.
- Education: There is no education requirement specific to solar.
- If you are a participating renewable energy vendor in the New Jersey Clean Energy Program’s (NJCEP) Customer Onsite Renewable Energy (CORE) program and/or its successor program, the NJCEP’s Renewable Energy Incentive Program (REIP) and because you offer services installing renewable energy systems on residences, you are required by law to register with the Division of Consumer Affairs (in the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety) as a Home Improvement Contractor (HIC). Without this registration, you may not legally participate as an installer in the CORE or REIP rebate program.